Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Herbed Cottage Cheese Bread.

I keep buying cottage cheese. For some reason, over the last few weeks, I forget to look in the fridge to see if we actually need it, and I buy another. So now, we have about a gallon. I am serious. So, I started looking to recipes to provide some relief. I found one. It is a bread that was really delicious. It may sound strange, to combine cottage cheese with flour, dill and honey, but it was really good. super tender and soft, slightly chewy crust. It really reminded me of this potato dill bread I used to make years ago, but without potato.

 I also needed to knead this week. after a week and a half of sick and teething kiddos, I needed a little bread therapy.

And, this was the perfect thing, slathered with some sweet butter.



Herbed Cottage Cheese Bread.
adapted from Smitten Kitchen.

2 1/4 teas dry yeast
1/2 cup water
2 Tabl honey
1/2 onion, chopped fine
1 egg
1 cup cottage cheese, I used large curd lowfat
2 Tabl fresh mixed herbs. I used a mixture of fresh chives and dill.
3 cups Flour
1 teas salt

In a bowl, combine yeast with warm water and honey. let sit while you chop the onion and herbs. To the yeast, add the cottage cheese, egg, onion and herbs and whisk to combine.
then, add the flour, 1 cup at a time until you have a soft dough that can be kneaded by hand. after the 2nd cup is added, add your salt and mix. dust your counter with some of the remaining flour and knead the dough, adding flour to make a dough that is soft and just slightly tacky. (it is a soft dough, but nature, but it should be firm enough to handle, yet a little wet.) knead for about 5 minutes and then let rest in an oiled bowl, covered with plastic, for 1 hour.
Punch down after an hour and knead on the counter, shaping the loaf in a ball. let rest 5 minutes.
At this point, I used a floured bread basket (which gives the lined appearance and held the shape of the dough for the second rise.) If you dont have something like this, use a loaf pan. shape the loaf into a football and let rise for an hour in a greased pan.
preheat oven to 375 and when the dough has risen an hour and is quite airy, bake it for about 40 minutes until dark golden.




No comments: