Sunday, May 13, 2012

Strawberry Ice Cream

You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you that summer has arrived in the Pacific NW, would you? Well, I don't really believe it myself, but we have been treated really nicely this May. Maybe it is to make up for last years horrid June? I am crossing my fingers that June doesn't show up like a lion again this year. But, back to summer. I am jumping the gun, but can we still declare the beginning to Ice Cream Season?
OK
Good.

Yesterday, I got out my old (meaning 1990's) Donvier crank maker, froze the core, made some Ice Cream custard base and macerated some berries. OK, maybe that took me a few days.
but, when I finally got it all together, I recruited my 3 year old to turn the crank for 20 minutes and look what he made? He was so proud. I see a lot of homemade ice cream in our future.




 And, here it is, just before I poured the Magic Shell over the top.
I know, I know. How could I?
it was pretty easy, actually.





Strawberry Ice Cream.

3 cups cream
1 cup sugar
6 yolks
pinch salt
4 cups Strawberries mashed with 1/4 cup sugar.

I mashed the berries and sugar and let it sit overnight.

Heat the Cream to a simmer with 1/2 cup sugar and salt. While heating, whisk the other 1/2 c sugar with the egg yolks in a separate bowl. when the cream is hot, pour it into the bowl WHILE WHISKING the eggs and sugar, when mixed, add back to the pot and stir constantly with a spatula until the mixture thickens slightly. (finger test, just about as hot as you can handle) don't let it boil.
pour the mixture into a clean bowl and try to cool it quickly to stop it from over cooking. Use a larger bowl with ice water to prop the bowl containing the mixture in. let cool completely. preferably overnight as well.

when ready to churn, strain the custard base just in case you got some eggy bits, then stir in the berry mixture. pour into the maker and churn per the instructions.

For my batch, I actually halved the recipe and it churned in about 15 minutes. it made just shy of 4 cups. And, another note, depending on the sweetness factor of your berries, you can cut back a little on the sugar. I wouldn't cut it to more than a 1/2 cup though.

Enjoy!




No comments: