Monday, May 21, 2012

Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Nutella Cookies.



Today was just one of those days. Both kids woke up sick, one stayed home from school, the other didn't nap well. It was raining. We didn't leave the house, both kids grumpy and stealing toys from each other. Somehow I kept my cool. But, it was really hard. At 3:30, I found myself debating whether to crack the wine or make more coffee. Did I want to pep myself up for the remainder of the day or mellow out? I decided to wait a half hour, until 4, and then I did crack that wine. But, in the meantime, I decided to do us all a favor and made some cookies. I took an existing recipe and made a wee bit healthier and better, I think. I cut back a little on the sugar, used whole wheat flour and tada...every little bit counts, right?


Whole Wheat Peanut Butter and Nutella Cookies


1/2 cup soft butter
3/4 cup peanut butter, I like chunky myself, but either works
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 teas vanilla
3/4 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 cup Nutella or TJ's equivalent (Cocoa Almond Spread, which I used)


Pour a glass of wine and preheat oven to 350.
Cream together butter, pb, sugars, egg and vanilla.
In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
Add dry ingredients to wet and stir to combine. The dough shouldn't be too dry but it takes a little to combine. And, I am too lazy these days to get my mixers out, so I usually whisk the butter etc and then use a wooden spoon and a little muscle when combining the two. When mixed, add the Nutella and stir in only until it is marbled throughout.

On a silpat or parchment, roll out balls about 1 1/2 inches across, then press them down with a fork in a criss cross. I baked most of the dough tonight, but not all and my guess is that you get about 2 dozen in total.
Bake for 12 minutes or so, until dry on top. 

gobble. 

No comments: